Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hummus, wonderful hummus...

How everyone knows how much I LOVE hummus! It's so wonderful by itself, as a dip, or as a sandwich spread. My favorite thing to do with hummus is to spread it on bread and make a veggie sandwich (besides eating it with a spoon). That's right - a veggie sandwich - sliced tomato, cucumber, onions, romaine, feta, and a full schmear of hummus. My mouth is watering right now. I personally thank my father-in-law David for introducing me to hummus AND for showing me his secret recipe. I make mine a little different (without the secret ingredient) but it still comes out so awesome! Let me share:





 Simple Hummus Recipe:

1 16oz can of chickpeas
2 tbsp tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
1 clove of chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
Juice of half a lemon (be sure to sift out the seeds)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Add the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, and lemon juice to a food processor and blend. Add olive oil and blend again. Add a little water at a time until you get a nice smooth texture.

Sometimes I add fresh cilantro to the food processor and it tastes like Panera Bread's cilantro hummus.  Also, I make a well in the center of the hummus and add all kinds of chopped vegetables and drizzle some olive oil on it. A little red pepper, cucumbers or pickles, red onions, green olives, fresh cilantro or fresh parsley. Enjoy! I think I'm going to make some now...

*Note - you can find tahini at Shoprite that I know of






 




1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm really impressed with your presentation. Takes hummus to a whole new level. I'll be serving this at my next party for sure !

    ReplyDelete